Dioxyribonucleic Acid, better known as DNA, is our own unique genetic code in this thing we call life …
DNA can be found in every cell in our body, and believe it or not, all living organisms have DNA as well. Check out some of these interesting DNA facts that may fascinate you!
- Humans have roughly one TRILLION cells in their bodies.
- There are approximately 3 BILLION chemical letters in the DNA code within every cell of your body!
- The amount of DNA in your body could fill 200 yellow pages in small font!
- It would take about 29 years to type out your whole genetic system.
- We share 98% of our genes with chimpanzee’s, 92% with mice, 76% with Zebra fish and 51% with fruit flies! (YUCK!!)
- We share a significant amount of DNA with animals, plants, and microorganisms.
- Recent research shows humans have 1-4% Neanderthal DNA!!
- DNA was first discovered in 1869 by Friedrich Miescher.