HELP! I need to change the fathers name on my child’s birth certificate

Welcoming parenthood is for most people a joyful moment – as long as the child concerned is the biological child of the assumed father. What if you have a doubt that it isn’t your spouse’s? Remember that hot summer night with your ex? Could the child be his instead?

First of all, take a deep breath and a sip of tea. Or vodka, your choice.

Then ask yourself what steps you should take next. Bear in mind that all children have the right to know who their biological father is.

Step 1. Check with your state’s Vital Records department.

Every state has different regulations and requirements in terms of changing the record in a birth certificate. Checking with them first is the most logical thing to do.

Step 2. Take a legal paternity test.

To prove who the real father of the child is, you will need to request a legal paternity test. The result of this test can be submitted as evidence in court to support your case.

Step 3. Adjudicating parentage.

The new paternity registrant should declare to be the legal guardian of your child. You will be required to fill out a form and submit evidences to prove or disprove who the biological father of your child is. The legal paternity test will come in handy if you have it ready at this stage.

Step 4. Wait for the court’s verdict.

If the court sides with you, a new birth certificate will be issued. However, there is also a chance that they reject the case if your spouse is willing to care for your child. After all, it’s your child’s best interest that matters.

A legal DNA Paternity test can be performed at DNASU. Call for more info. 800.215.9948

Thank You for getting in touch with us!

We'll contact you shortly!